These family friendly tortillas or tacos are great with some fresh toppings – such as coriander, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.
Makes 12 tortillas.
Night before (50 minutes)
350g beef mince
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green and 1 red pepper, diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
2 tbs tomato puree
1 x 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1. Chop onions and garlic and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add mince and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
3. Add cumin and salt and stir for 20 seconds before adding peppers and cooking for further 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree and water to cover.
5. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer on a lower heat for 25 minutes.
6. Add kidney beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool and refrigerate.
The Day (20 minutes)
30g fresh coriander and some shredded lettuce
100g hard cheese, grated
150 ml sour cream/yoghurt
Jalpenos for adults (optional)
1. Put tortillas/taco shells in oven to warm as per instructions.
2. Chop up toppings
3. Warm beef.
Put all on table for people to serve themselves.
Cook’s Tip: Make vegetarian by using soya mince. Experiment by adding 1 tsp of paprika or 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder.