It was one of those days when you throw it all together, concocting a recipe from what you have. Butternut squash, chives from the garden, ginger cut into strips. A bit of salt and pepper and a teaspoon of cumin. That was about it and surprisingly it worked! I’ve altered the recipe to add in some lemongrass and vegetable stock instead of water.
1 ripe butternut squash, cubed
large handful of fresh chives, chopped
500 ml vegetable stock
small piece ginger in strips
small amount of lemongrass, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1. Soften the butternut squash in a Le Creuset type dish with the chopped chives for 10 minutes or so. Season with black pepper.
2. Add 500ml vegetable stock and bring to the boil before covering. Add the ginger, the cumin and some diced lemongrass.
3. Simmer for about 20 minutes or more until the squash is tender.
4. Blend with a hand blender.
5. Serve with yoghurt and more chopped chives.